Dear Odd Fellows and Pledges,
1. Congratulations. Congratulations to the five newly elected officers of Davis Lodge #169. They will take office at the Installation and Awards Dinner on January 9, 2016, and will serve during 2016. They are:
Noble Grand Jean-Paul Montreuil
Vice Grand Stewart Savage
Secretary Jim Smith
Treasurer Janis Rosenberg
Financial Secretary Duff Devine
By the way, for those of you who just call him Jean-Paul, and have never used Jean-Paul’s last name, it’s pronounced Mon-TRAY.
2. Lodge Meetings Canceled. Please note that due to the Thanksgiving Holiday, our fourth Wednesday November evening Lodge meeting is canceled on November 25. And due to Breakfast with Santa, our second Saturday breakfast meeting is canceled on December 12. Finally, due to the Christmas Holiday, our Lodge’s fourth Wednesday December evening meeting is canceled on December 23. Our next Lodge meeting will be the second Saturday breakfast meeting of January 9.
3. Tellabration Coming to the Lodge This Sunday. There will be a fun event at the Lodge tomorrow, November 22. It’s an afternoon of storytelling for teens and adults at the Lodge, from 2:30 to 5:30 p.m. The event is sponsored by the Odd Theater Committee of the Davis Lodge and the National Storytelling Network and held in over 40 states and 9 countries! Also, live music by Driving South. For more information on the Tellabration or the Odd Theater Committee, contact Jenna Templeton at email@example.com.
4. Run/Walk on Thanksgiving Day. “Running With the Turkeys” is a 5K run or walk on Thanksgiving Day (November 26). Good fun and good exercise! The event benefits the Yolo County Food Bank. For information or to join the team at the last moment, contact Janis Rosenberg at firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. Club Night at the Lodge. There will be no club night this coming Thursday due to the Thanksgiving Holiday. But Club Night at the Lodge is back on Thursday, December 3, from 5 to about 7:30 p.m. in the Lower Hall. Dinner will be available for those who wish to purchase it for $7 per person. Club Night at the Lodge is brought to you by our Good Fellowship Committee.
6. The Annual Holiday Show. Our Music & Concerts Committee brings you its Annual Holiday Show on Thursday, December 3, in the Upper Hall. Doors open at 7 p.m. and music begins at 7:30 p.m. Eight local musical acts will play during the holiday show, and there will be an old-fashioned sing-a-long between acts. Santa will also join the show just for the kids! The show is open to the public and there is no admission charge – although donations are gratefully accepted. All funds raised will go to the Davis Encampment to help send children to summer camp.
7. Bowling Committee Rolls. The Odd Fellows Bowling Committee will be at Capital Bowl in West Sacramento on Saturday, December 5, for its first bowling excursion. We already have SEVENTEEN signed up to go bowling on December 5 – but there is room for a handful more. Contact Committee Chair Bob Dovi at email@example.com if you are interested in bowling on December 5!
8. Odd Fellows Bingo Benefits the SPCA. Odd Fellows Bingo is back on Sunday, December 13. December’s beneficiary is the Yolo County SPCA – helping doggies, and kitties and other critters. Come by to play Bingo. Doors open at 12 noon and Bingo begins at 1:00 p.m. Usually, 15 games are played and cash prizes are awarded, including $250 for the winner of blackout Bingo.
9. Books, Anyone? We have formed a Book Club group in the Lodge. If anyone is interested in reading and discussing books, please contact Heather Barnes at firstname.lastname@example.org.
10. How About Some Caroling. In the spirit of F-L-T, Dave Reed is, once again, organizing a Christmas Caroling group to visit a local convalescent hospital. The date and time is still to be determined. If YOU are interested in joining the Caroling Group, please contact Dave Reed at email@example.com. You don’t have to be a good singer – you just need enthusiasm and holiday spirit.
11. A Special Movie Showing on December 20. Hold open the evening of Sunday, December 20. That’s the evening our Lodge’s Classic Movie Committee will offer you a special showing of the holiday comedy classic: “A Christmas Story” [you’ll shoot your eye out] in the Lower Hall of the Lodge. This special showing is only open to members, Pledges, family and their guests. The movie is fun for all ages. This is a family-friendly event and we encourage you to bring the kids! No chairs will be set up so you are asked to bring sleeping bags, pillows, blankets, bean bag chairs or lawn chairs. It’s going to be a big, fun sleep in. We will have popcorn and hot apple cider. Doors will open at 5:30 p.m. and the movie will start at 6:00 p.m. For more information or questions contact Dave Rosenberg at firstname.lastname@example.org.
12. Breakfast with Santa. This is our 10th year providing Breakfast with Santa (BWS) to the community. The event this year is Saturday, December 12. Tickets are now on sale ($10 per person) at Avid Reader Active in Downtown Davis and at Common Grounds in South Davis. We have all volunteer positions filled for the breakfast. And thank you to the best Santa ever, Doug Hatton. But we still have two ways that YOU can help:
Sponsor. You can be a financial sponsor of the event for a donation of $100 or more. The funds are used to help foster children in the community, and also to help young adults who recently left the foster care system and need some assistance. The following have already contributed as sponsors: Beth and Bob Dovi, Joyce Trujillo, Lea and Dave Rosenberg, an Anonymous contribution, Law Offices of Roberta Savage, Tim Ainsworth, Sherry and Tony Pruitt, Tandem Properties, Inc., Brooks Painting, Inc., Arun Sen, Allison Zuvella, Davis Ace, Campus Child Care, and Raquel Silva – Attorney at Law., Bob Schelen If you would like to be a sponsor, please contact me in the next week. And thank you.
We need help. When BWS is over, Debbie Friend (who is organizing the stage decor) and I need some help clearing the decorations in the room and on the tables, boxing them and putting them away for next year. We don’t want to do this alone. If you can come to the Lodge around 12:30 p.m. on December 12 to help us, it will be very much appreciated. Please RSVP to me in the next week and let me know if you can help.
13. Wine Club and Holiday Party. Our November 20 Wine Club gathering at the home of Colleen and Phil Pacca was a great success with over 30 attendees. Everyone had a good time. Please mark your calendars for the next gathering which is our December Wine Club and Lodge Holiday Party. This year it will be at 700 p.m. on Friday, December 18 at the home of Lea and Dave Rosenberg. More information will follow but for now, mark your calendars.
14. New Year’s Eve Party with Mumbo Gumbo. This was such a great success in 2014, we are doing it again! Our Lodge’s 2nd Annual New Year’s Party with Mumbo Gumbo is open to the public and is our way of helping the community welcome 2016 in style. The party starts on December 31 and ends on January 1. Doors open at 8:00 p.m. and the music starts at 9:30 p.m. Lots of fun music suitable for dancing; light fare of gumbo and corn bread will be available, no host bars will be open. Tickets are $50 each – tickets are now on sale at Avid Reader Active, or you may purchase them on line at www.showclix.com/event/MumboGumbo1231. Juelie Roggli is the overall coordinator of the event and you can contact her at email@example.com. Coordinating Lodge volunteers to help at the event is Mary Superak who can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. Only 225 tickets are available for this popular event, and they are on sale right now.
15. Any Chefs Out There? Our Saturday morning breakfast crew (the folks who prepare our terrific breakfasts at our second Saturday breakfast meetings) would like to find one or two volunteers who will help out in the kitchen, when needed. Let me know if you wish to be trained as a relief chef.
16. Send Your Kind Thoughts to Glenn. Our Lodge members Glenn Mounkes (who previously served as Financial Secretary and as Operations Manager) recently had a death in his family. His brother, Steve, passed away. Please send kind thoughts and supportive e-mails to Glenn at email@example.com.
17. RSVP for the Installation & Awards Dinner. The 146th Annual Installation & Awards Dinner of our Lodge will be held Saturday evening, January 9, 2016. There is limited seating. It’s a fun and festive event with installation of officers, a great dinner, musical entertainment, a no-host bar, and plenty of social time. We will install the 2016 officers of the Lodge (and for the first time in history, the Grand Master of California and the Grand Warden of California – who are both members of the Davis Lodge – will conduct the installation). We will also present awards to exceptional members of our Lodge. Don’t miss it! The invitation and RSVP form is attached.
Here’s hoping everyone has a safe and happy Thanksgiving.