Dear Odd Fellows and Pledges,
1. Odd Fellows Wine Club Meets Tonight. Open to members, pledges and guests, the Odd Fellows Wine Club will gather at 7 p.m. tonight, Friday, October 23, at the home of Beth and Bob Dovi, 1816 Titian Place (in the Wildhorse subdivision), Davis. Bring one of your favorite Mendocino or Sonoma County wines to share and taste. Also, bring an appetizer to share. And, if you wish, bring your own special wine glass.
2. Halloween Costume Party Tomorrow. It’s almost here! Our annual Lodge Halloween Party is this Saturday evening, October 24 at the Lodge, from 7 to 10 p.m. Live music with the Gary Lee Yoder Band, costumes, prizes, and more. Donation of $5 is requested.
3. Sponsors, Anyone? One of our signature Lodge events is coming up on December 12 – Breakfast with Santa (BWS). We have been putting this popular event on for the community for the past 10 years. Every year a number of Odd Fellows contribute funds to sponsor BWS. If you are interested in being listed as a sponsor of the 2015 BWS, please see the attached letter and get in touch with me. All funds raised go to benefit foster children in Davis and Yolo County, former foster children who just turned 18, the boys who live at Progress Ranch, and a scholarship for King High School (the alternative high school in Davis). You will be publicly recognized for your sponsorship! We already have THREE sponsors for the event.
4. Trees and Other Decor Still Needed. We need to borrow some items for stage decor for Breakfast with Santa. If you have any of the following contact Debbie at firstname.lastname@example.org: 6 pre-lit trees (2 of each – 4-5 foot, 6 foot, and 7 1/2 foot), plastic medium to large tree ornaments, wire (not plastic) ornament hangers, red material for tree skirts (like sheets, bedspreads, material), 2 string icicle lights for hallway, extension cords, 4 to 6 faux large red poinsettias potted plants, extra small command strip hooks to hang lights in hallway.
5. Lodge New Year’s Party in the Works. Last year our Lodge hosted a New Year’s Party with Mumbo Gumbo. It was a smashing success. So, we are going to do it again at our Lodge Hall – and it looks like it will become an annual event. Open to Odd Fellows, Pledges and the public. Chairing our New Year’s Party Committee is Juelie Roggli. We need volunteers for this fun committee primarily to work the bar, work the ticket table, and with decorations. If you would like to volunteer, please contact Dave Rosenberg at email@example.com.
6. “Team Bald Fellows”. Stewart Savage would like to get a team of 10 to 20 people to participate in the annual St. Baldric’s Foundation head-shaving event, raising funds for that foundation to fight childhood cancer. There are a number of children in Davis who are fighting or have fought cancer. We may even provide T-shirts to “Team Bald Fellows”. If anyone wishes to know more about this effort, or to volunteer to be part of this team, contact Stewart at firstname.lastname@example.org.
7. Odd Needle Craft Committee Meets Again. If you are interested in knitting, needlework and needle craft of all sorts, our Lodge has a committee for you. The next gathering is Monday, November 9, from 7 to 9 p.m. at the home of Diana Schmiegel, 3025 Genaro Place, Davis. Bring your individual needlecraft project. The committee will also be working with beginning knitters on easy projects. More information from Kathy Hemness at email@example.com.
8. Odd Hike to the Lake Berryessa Area. Our Lodge’s Take a Hike Committee is planning a 5.2 mile hike in the Lake Berryessa area, on Sunday, November 15. This is open to members, pledges, friends and family. For more information, contact Dave Reed at firstname.lastname@example.org.
9. Golf, Anyone? Yes. We have an Odd Fellows Golf Committee. And our Golf Committee is launching the first outing on the Davis Municipal Golf Course, on Wednesday, November 18, with approximate Tee Time at 1 p.m. Co-chairing our Odd Fellows Golf Committee is Charles Filmer and Jeff Oblinger. If you wish more information, or wish to join the first round of golf with our Golf Committee, please contact Charles Filmer at email@example.com.
10. Odd Fellows Book Club Forming! Our Lodge’s 44th Committee is now a reality. We now have an Odd Fellows Book Club, Co-chaired by Heather Barnes and Jean-Paul Montreuil. What fun! If you are interested in books and may be interested in this Book Club, please contact Heather at firstname.lastname@example.org. Future gatherings will be announced.
11. Run/Walk on Thanksgiving Day. “Running With the Turkeys” is a 5K run or walk on Thanksgiving Day (November 26). We already have a half-dozen Odd Fellows interested in participating in an Odd Fellows run/walk team. The event benefits the Yolo County Food Bank. For information or to join the team, contact Janis Rosenberg at email@example.com.
12. Odd Fellows Chocolate Festival. We have launched a “Davis Chocolate Festival” organized by the Lodge. We hope to have the inaugural event in 2016, and hope it becomes an annual event at the Lodge and in town. Three members volunteered to Co-chair the Chocolate Festival Committee. Please contact one of the co-chairs if you are interested in serving on the Chocolate Festival Committee, helping to plan and organize the event. The co-chairs are Mary Superak at firstname.lastname@example.org, Kurt Roggli at email@example.com, and Sherry Pruitt at firstname.lastname@example.org.
13. Seminar in Reno Open to All. Any Odd Fellow may attend the “member’s seminar” in Reno, Nevada, sponsored by the Grand Lodge. The dates are January 16-17, with arrival Friday evening, January 15. If you aspire to be an officer in the Lodge, or are just interested in learning more about the Order, sign up for this seminar. The cost is just $190 per person, which covers the cost of the room, meals and all seminar materials – pretty good deal. Note, registration deadline is December 10. The registration form is attached to this report.
14. Next Lodge Meeting Next Wednesday. Mark your calendars for the next Davis Lodge meeting. It’s this coming Wednesday, October 28, at the Lodge. Social hour (with snacks, appetizers and drinks) begins at 6:15 p.m. and the meeting starts at 7:00 p.m.