Dear Odd Fellows and Pledges,
1. Would You Like to Sponsor Breakfast with Santa? One of our signature Lodge events is coming up on December 12 – Breakfast with Santa (BWS). We have been putting this popular event on for the community for the past 10 years. Every year a number of Odd Fellows contribute funds to sponsor BWS. If you are interested in being listed as a sponsor of the 2015 BWS, please see the attached letter and get in touch with me. All funds raised go to benefit foster children in Davis and Yolo County, former foster children who just turned 18, the boys who live at Progress Ranch, and a scholarship for King High School (the alternative high school in Davis). You will be publicly recognized for your sponsorship!
2. Lodge New Year’s Party in the Works. Last year our Lodge hosted a New Year’s Party with Mumbo Gumbo. It was a smashing success. So, we are going to do it again at our Lodge Hall – and it looks like it will become an annual event. Open to Odd Fellows, Pledges and the public. Chairing our New Year’s Party Committee is Juelie Roggli. We need volunteers for this fun committee. If you would like to volunteer, please contact Juelie at email@example.com. An inaugural meeting to plan this year’s New Year’s Party will be set up in the near future.
3. “Team Bald Fellows”. Stewart Savage would like to get a team of 10 to 20 people to participate in the annual St. Baldric’s Foundation head-shaving event, raising funds for that foundation to fight childhood cancer. There are a number of children in Davis who are fighting or have fought cancer. We may even provide T-shirts to “Team Bald Fellows”. If anyone wishes to know more about this effort, or to volunteer to be part of this team, contact Stewart at firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. Book Club Anyone? We have received interest from a couple of members and pledges to form a Book Club Committee in the Lodge, so folks can read and discuss books! If you are interested, please let me know at email@example.com. If there is sufficient interest by at least 5 members or pledges, we may very well create this committee.
5. Club Night This Thursday. Mark your calendars for Club Night at the Lodge tomorrow, October 15, from 5 to 8 p.m. One of our chefs will make sure that dinner is available for those who choose to partake – $7 per plate. Trivia Master Dave Rosenberg will challenge you, and there are prizes for winning tables!
6. Odd Fellows Wine Club Meets Again. Open to members, pledges and guests, the Odd Fellows Wine Club will gather at 7 p.m. on Friday, October 23, at the home of Beth and Bob Dovi, 1816 Titian Place (in the Wildhorse subdivision), Davis. Bring one of your favorite Mendocino or Sonoma County wines to share and taste.
7. Halloween Costume Party on October 24. It’s coming! Our annual Lodge Halloween Party is right around the corner. The date is Saturday, October 24 at the Lodge, from 7 to 10 p.m.. Mark your calendars. Live music with the Gary Lee Yoder Band, costumes, prizes, and more. Donation of $5 is requested. Contact Dave Reed for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org.
8. Trees and Other Decor Needed. We need to borrow some items for stage decor for Breakfast with Santa. If you have any of the following contact Debbie at email@example.com: 6 pre-lit trees (2 of each – 4-5 foot, 6 foot, and 7 1/2 foot), plastic medium to large tree ornaments, wire (not plastic) ornament hangers, red material for tree skirts (like sheets, bedspreads, material), 2 string icicle lights for hallway, extension cords, 4 to 6 faux large red poinsettias potted plants, extra small command strip hooks to hang lights in hallway.
9. Run/Walk on Thanksgiving Day. “Running With the Turkeys” is a 5K run or walk on Thanksgiving Day (November 26). We already have a half-dozen Odd Fellows interested in participating in an Odd Fellows run/walk team. The event benefits the Yolo County Food Bank. For information or to join the team, contact Janis Rosenberg at firstname.lastname@example.org.
10. Odd Fellows Chocolate Festival. We are launching a “Davis Chocolate Festival” organized by the Lodge. We hope to have the inaugural event in 2016, and hope it becomes an annual event at the Lodge and in town. But the planning is starting soon. Three members volunteered to Co-chair the Chocolate Festival Committee. Please contact one of the co-chairs if you are interested in serving on the Chocolate Festival Committee, helping to plan and organize the event. The co-chairs are Mary Superak at email@example.com, Kurt Roggli at firstname.lastname@example.org, and Sherry Pruitt at email@example.com.
11. Red Books Available. They are going fast. We ordered 30 and half are already sold. If you are a Third Degree member and want your own charge book (the little red book), contact Dave Rosenberg at firstname.lastname@example.org. They are $15 each, checks payable to Davis Lodge.
12. Our Last Bingo Was a Success. Odd Fellows Bingo last Sunday was (once again) a success. We had close to 70 players and a contribution of $637 will be made to the Soroptimist International of Davis to support helping King High School girls plan their futures. Next Bingo is November 8, benefiting the Center for Families. Thank you, Bingo Co-chairs Jean-Paul Montreuil and Jeff Oblinger.
13. Next Lodge Meeting on Wednesday, October 28. Mark your calendars for the next Davis Lodge meeting. It’s Wednesday, October 28, at the Lodge. Social hour begins at 6:15 p.m. and the meeting starts at 7:00 p.m.