Dear Odd Fellows and Pledges,
1. Help Joe Green. One of our new members needs some help. Joe is caring for his wife who is having challenges after surgery. They are both in their Senior years and the 24/7 work is taking a toll on Joe. He could certainly use some help with food. If you can prepare and bring a meal to Joe and his wife, that would be a true expression of F-L-T. Please contact Joe at email@example.com to make arrangements to deliver a meal on a date convenient for Joe.
2. Odd Fellows Bingo Today. Bingo today (October 11) benefits the Soroptimist International Club of Davis – they are using the proceeds to help girls at King High School achieve their dreams. Doors open at 12 noon and Bingo starts at 1 p.m. Come out to support Odd Fellows Bingo! Thank you to our terrific Bingo Committee chaired by Jean-Paul Montreuil and Jeff Oblinger.
3. New Needlework Committee Meets. Our newest Odd Fellows Lodge Committee meets this Monday, October 12, from 7 to 9 p.m. in the Lodge Conference Room. The committee invites anyone interested in knitting, crocheting, needlepoint, embroidery, quilting , sewing, weaving, spinning, macrame, and bead working. The committee will plan future meetings at this first meeting. Contact chair Kathy Hemness at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested.
4. Club Night This Thursday. Mark your calendars for Club Night at the Lodge this Thursday, October 15, from 5 to 8 p.m. One of our chefs will make sure that dinner is available for those who choose to partake – $7 per plate. There will be trivia with prizes for winning tables!
5. Odd Fellows Wine Club Meets Again. Open to members, pledges and guests, the Odd Fellows Wine Club will gather at 7 p.m. on Friday, October 23, at the home of Beth and Bob Dovi, 1816 Titian Place (in the Wildhorse subdivision), Davis. Bring one of your favorite Mendocino or Sonoma County wines to share and taste.
6. Halloween Costume Party Around the Corner. It’s coming! Our annual Lodge Halloween Party is right around the corner. The date is Saturday, October 24 at the Lodge, from 7 to 10 p.m.. Mark your calendars. Live music with the Gary Lee Yoder Band, costumes, prizes, and more. Contact Dave Reed for more information at email@example.com.
7. Last Chance to Reserve for the October 17 Reception. We have a reception at the Lodge net Saturday, October 17, from 2 to 5:30 p.m., including lunch, to honor the 7 Grand Lodge Officers and the 6 Rebekah Assembly Officers. This is the first time such a statewide reception has been held at the Davis Lodge, and there will be Odd Fellows and Rebekahs from all over the state. Let’s have a great turnout from our Lodge. If you are interested in attending, the deadline to RSVP is October 12 (that’s tomorrow). Please contact Sherry Pruitt for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org.
8. Golf Committee Organizing. One of our newest committees is the Odd Fellows Golf Committee. If you are interested in playing golf, contact Charles Filmer at email@example.com. The committee is in the process or organizing some fun foursomes.
9. UN Pilgrimage for Youth. Every year, Odd Fellows Lodges send high school students (High School Juniors in the 16-17 age range) for a trip back east to visit the UN and other spots. The website is www.unpilgrimage.com for detailed information. The cost is $2,500 (which includes the air fare) and the deadline is December 15, 2015, to submit $1,250 as the non-refundable deposit. If you have a young man or woman you would like to sponsor, please let me know right away. The Lodge will consider some level of subsidy for the delegate or delegates we send.
10. Stage Decoration. We have just about filled all the volunteer slots for Breakfast with Santa (December 12), but we can always use a few more volunteers to decorate the stage the day before (December 11) and to break down the stage decorations after BWS ends. Debbie Friend is organizing the stage decorating and breakdown. We currently have 8 volunteers to decorate and 4 volunteers to breakdown the decor. If anyone else wishes to volunteer contact Debbie at firstname.lastname@example.org. ALSO, Debbie needs to borrow some items for stage and other decor. If you have any of the following contact Debbie: 6 pre-lit trees (2 of each – 4-5 foot, 6 foot, and 7 1/2 foot), plastic medium to large tree ornaments, wire (not plastic) ornament hangers, red material for tree skirts (like sheets, bedspreads, material), 2 string icicle lights for hallway, extension cords, 4 to 6 faux large red poinsettias potted plants, extra small command strip hooks to hang lights in hallway.
11. Run/Walk on Thanksgiving Day. “Running With the Turkeys” is a 5K run or walk on Thanksgiving Day (November 26). We already have a half-dozen Odd Fellows interested in participating in an Odd Fellows run/walk team. The event benefits the Yolo County Food Bank. For information or to join the team, contact Janis Rosenberg at email@example.com.
12. Odd Fellows Chocolate Festival. The ideas are ever-flowing from Dave Rosenberg. At yesterday’s meeting, he suggested that we organize an Davis Chocolate Festival at the Lodge in 2016, and hopefully make it into an annual event for the Lodge and the community. There was a lot of interest in planning such a fun event. Three members volunteered to co-chair the Chocolate Festival Committee (our 42nd committee, by the way). Please contact one of the co-chairs if you are interested in helping plan and organize the event. The co-chairs are Mary Superak at firstname.lastname@example.org, Kurt Roggli at email@example.com, and Sherry Pruitt at firstname.lastname@example.org.
13. Red Books Available. They are going fast. We ordered 30 and half are already sold. If you are a Third Degree member and want your own charge book (the little red book), contact Dave Rosenberg at email@example.com. They are $15 each, checks payable to Davis Lodge.
14. Operations Manager Retires. Lodge Operations Manager Dody Black is retiring at the end of the 2015 – she and Landy are moving into the next phase in their lives. A reception/party is planned for her at the Lodge, on Saturday, November 14, starting at 7 p.m. All members of the Odd Fellows Lodge and the Davis Rebekah Lodge are invited, but you must RSVP to Allison Vickrey at firstname.lastname@example.org. The Hall Board announced that the new Operations Manager will be Allison Vickrey (who has been serving as the Assistant Operations and Catering Manager) and the new Assistant Operations Manager will be Chef Jeff Oblinger. They take over their new positions on January 1, 2016.