Dear Odd Fellows and Pledges,
1. Congratulations to Our New Three-Degree Members. We offer congratulations to the 15 Odd Fellows who earned their three advanced degrees on September 1 and became Three-Degree members of this Lodge. They are: Cathy Aubill, Patric Ashby, Georgia Myers, Jeff Myers, Robb White, Sue Treadwell, Kathryn Hemness, Phyllis Himmel, Blayney Breckenridge, Dian Vorters, Claudia Lowe, Micheal Lowe, Phil Pacca, Colleen Pacca, and Michael Dufresne.
2. Club Night Next Thursday. Club Night is back. Last Club Night we had 35 Odd Fellows and Pledges in attendance. The next Club Night at the Lodge is this coming Thursday, September 10, in the Lower Hall, from 5 to 8 p.m. This one will be a potluck and everyone who attends is invited to bring a dish. The potluck theme is “Southwestern” so feel free to bring a pot of beans, barbeque meats, veggies of all kinds, salads, etc. The full bar will be open. The big screen TV will be on. And we will be having Trivia Night with prizes for the winning tables – Trivia Masters are Jean-Paul Montreuil and Heather Barnes. Come on by!
3. Odd Poetry Is Back. After a summer break, the Odd Poetry Committee gathers again on Friday, September 11, at 6:30 p.m. in front of the Lodge. Anyone is welcome to join the Odd Poets. For more information, contact Chuck White at email@example.com.
4. Odd Fellows Bingo Coming Up. Sunday, September 13 is Odd Fellows Bingo in the Lower Hall. Doors open at 12 and Bingo begins at 1 p.m. Chairs of our active Bingo Committee are Jeff Oblinger and Jean-Paul Montreuil. This month Bingo benefits the Elderly Nutrition Program. You must be 18 to play. The Bingo Committee would appreciate one or two more members or pledges joining the committee as volunteers. If you are interested, contact me in reply to this e-mail.
5. The Odd Fellows Wine Club Returns. Also, after a summer break, our Odd Fellows Wine Club (open to members, pledges and guests) will gather to sample fine wine on Friday, September 18, at 7 p.m. at the Woodland home of Dody and Landy Black. More information and details will follow. Mark your calendars.
6. Take a Hike with our Take a Hike Committee. How about an urban hike in San Francisco? That’s the plan on Sunday, September 20. For more information on how to join this Odd Fellows hike (open to members, pledges, family and friends) contact Dave Reed at firstname.lastname@example.org.
7. RSVP to Visit the Historic Volcano Lodge. Last chance to RSVP. Let’s car-pool to visit the historic and unique Volcano Lodge in Volcano, California. The visit is September 19. It’s well worth the visit – like a step back through time. We will have a short visit at the Lodge and then walk down the street to a historic hotel for lunch. We have a wonderful set lunch with two entrees to choose from, all for $18 including tax and tip. Can’t beat this memory. Make sure to RSVP to Nancy Johnson at email@example.com to reserve your spot.
8. Odd Fellows Classic Film Festival Returns. This will be the fourth installment of our very popular Classic Film Festival. The screenings are free and open to the public. We will show three classic Film Noir on three successive Sundays in September: 13 (Double Indemnity), 20 (The Big Sleep) and 27 (Kiss Me Deadly). Mark your calendars! Renowned film reviewer Derrick Bang will give the back story for each film. Doors open for the Classic Film Fest at 6:29 p.m. and the films are shown starting at 7:01 p.m. (odd times, of course). First of the three films is coming right up on September 13.
9. Do You Want to Join the Davis Rebekah Lodge? The Davis Rebekah Lodge is seeking a few good men and women to join as members. This small Lodge is very active in our community, is financially very sound, and most of the members are also members of the Davis Odd Fellows. Are you interested? If so, please contact me by reply to this e-mail.
10. Adopt-a-Highway Committee Meets Soon. We are official. The Davis Odd Fellows have a stretch of Highway 113 from Road 29 to Road 27, going north. First gathering of the committee, chaired by Sheryl Cambron and assisted by John Steele, will be 7 p.m. on Thursday, September 24, at the Lodge. You must view a safety film. First roadway cleanup will be Saturday, September 26.
11. Next Lodge Meeting of the Davis Odd Fellows. Make sure you come to our next Lodge meeting on Saturday, September 12. It’s our Saturday morning breakfast meeting. As far as I know, we are the only Odd Fellows Lodge in California that has a Saturday morning breakfast meeting. And it’s free. Breakfast served at 8:45 a.m. and meeting starts at 9:30 a.m. Feel free to bring a prospective member.
12. Odd Fellows Cigar Lounge Committee Meets Sunday. The Cigar Lounge Committee meets this Sunday, September 6, at 1 p.m. at the Hautey Cigar Lounge, 2201 16th Street in Sacramento. The Cigar Lounge Committee is open to all members and pledges who want to enjoy an occasional fine cigar and learn about the art and science of the cigar. No RSVP needed – just come by.
13. For Your Reading Pleasure. Hot off the press, I have attached the latest edition (October-November-December) of the quarterly “California Odd Fellow – Rebekah Magazine.” Once again, the Davis Lodge and Davis Lodge members appear prominently in the publication.
14. Last Chance to Sign Up for the Dinner. The historic dinner honoring the Davis Lodge’s first California Grand Master Dave Rosenberg and Rebekah Assembly President Donna Morrison is coming up on the evening of Saturday, September 12. This is your absolute last chance to sign up to attend. I have attached the flier. At this late date, please contact the Chair of the Dinner Committee Ruth Morgan via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve your seat. Lots of fun and games, dinner and music.