Dear Odd Fellows and Pledges,
Now that summer is winding down, we have a LOT of events coming up at the Lodge.
1. Congratulations to Our New Members. We offer congratulations to our 8 new Lodge members, just initiated earlier this week: Blayney Breckenridge, Dian Vorters, Kathryn Hemness, Robb White, Claudia Lowe, Michael Lowe, Antoinnette Borbon, and Sherry Pruitt. Let’s make them feel at home.
2. Three Degree Night at the Lodge on Tuesday. For those initiated members who wish to receive their three advanced degrees, we are offering a 3-degree night at the Lodge this coming Tuesday, September 1, starting at 6 p.m. You can get all your Odd Fellows Lodge degrees in one evening. Cost for all 3 degrees is $30, payable to “Davis Lodge”. We already have 16 members signed up, but there is always room for a few more. Contact Dave Rosenberg at email@example.com to reserve your spot.
3. Club Night Next Thursday. Club Night is back after a summer break during the month of August. The next Club Night at the Lodge is this coming Thursday, September 3, in the Lower Hall, from 5 to 8 p.m. Dinner will be available for those who wish to partake at $7 per person. The full bar will be open. The big screen TV will be on. And we will be having Trivia Night with prizes for the winning tables. Come on by! We expect a large turnout.
4. Music at the Lodge Next Thursday. And Thursday Live! music is back as well, this coming Thursday, September 3, in the Upper Hall. Music starts at 7:30 p.m. – open to the public and free (although donations are gratefully accepted). Americana is the theme and we will enjoy the music of local performers: Bonanza Kings and Richie Lawrence and the Yolos. Music at its best at the Odd Fellows Lodge Hall.
5. Odd Poetry Is Back. After a summer break, the Odd Poetry Committee gathers again on Friday, September 11, at 6:30 p.m. in front of the Lodge. Anyone is welcome to join the Odd Poets. For more information, contact Chuck White at firstname.lastname@example.org.
6. And the Wine Club Returns. Also, after a summer break, our Odd Fellows Wine Club (open to members, pledges and guests) will gather to sample fine wine on Friday, September 18, at 7 p.m. at the Woodland home of Dody and Landy Black. More information and details will follow. Mark your calendars.
7. Take a Hike with our Take a Hike Committee. How about an urban hike in San Francisco? That’s the plan on Sunday, September 20. For more information on how to join this Odd Fellows hike (open to members, pledges, family and friends) contact Dave Reed at email@example.com.
8. RSVP to Visit the Historic Volcano Lodge. Let’s car-pool to visit the historic and unique Volcano Lodge in Volcano, California. The visit is September 19. It’s well worth the visit – like a step back through time. We will have a short visit at the Lodge and then walk down the street to a historic hotel for lunch. We have a wonderful set lunch with two entrees to choose from, all for $18 including tax and tip. Can’t beat this memory. Make sure to RSVP to Nancy Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve your spot.
9. Odd Fellows Classic Film Festival Returns. This will be the fourth installment of our very popular Classic Film Festival. The screenings are free and open to the public. We will show three classic Film Noir on three successive Sundays in September: 13 (Double Indemnity), 20 (The Big Sleep) and 27 (Kiss Me Deadly). Mark your calendars! Renowned film reviewer Derrick Bang will give the back story for each film. Doors open for the Classic Film Fest at 6:29 p.m. and the films are shown starting at 7:01 p.m. (odd times, of course).
10. Celebrate the Start of Our 9th Year of Bingo. Odd Fellows Bingo – another brainchild from the brain of Dave Rosenberg – held its first games on Sunday, September 9, 2007. We are about to enter our 9th year, and our Odd Fellows Bingo Committee has contributed well over $50,000 to local charities and community groups over the years. Ouor next Bingo will be Sunday, September 13, at the Lodge, doors open at 12 noon and Bingo starts at 1 p.m. The beneficiary of Bingo on September 13 is the Elderly Nutrition Program. Bingo is open to the public, but no one under 18 can play or be in the room where Bingo is played.
11. Do You Want to Join the Davis Rebekah Lodge? The Davis Rebekah Lodge is seeking a few good men and women to join as members. This small Lodge is very active in our community, is financially very sound, and most of the members are also members of the Davis Odd Fellows. Are you interested? If so, please contact me by reply to this e-mail.
12. Next Lodge Meeting of the Davis Odd Fellows. Make sure you come to our next Lodge meeting on Saturday, September 12. It’s our Saturday morning breakfast meeting. As far as I know, we are the only Odd Fellows Lodge in California that has a Saturday morning breakfast meeting. And it’s free. Breakfast served at 8:45 a.m. and meeting starts at 9:30 a.m. Feel free to bring a prospective member.