Dear Odd Fellows and Pledges,
1. Relay for Life This Weekend. Help raise funds to fight cancer – that’s the goal of the annual relay for life. The Davis Lodge has a team again this year called Sore Feet. The actual relay (it’s all walking for 24 hours in 1-hour shifts) takes place this weekend, August 1-2. If you are interested in helping or enjoying the fun (even now at the 11th hour), contact Jean-Paul Montreuil at email@example.com.
2. Next Lodge Meeting Is Next Saturday. Mark your calendars for the next Lodge meeting which is our Second Saturday Breakfast meeting. It’s next Saturday, August 8. Breakfast is served at 8:45 a.m. and the fun social meeting begins around 9:30 a.m. Feel free to bring a friend who you think might be interested in joining our Lodge.
3. No Club Night This Thursday. Club Night will take a break for the month of August. There will be no Thursday Club Night this coming Thursday, or for the rest of August. Next Club Night will be September 3.
4. “Oddly Crushed” Wine Available. The Davis Lodge now has it’s own wine with our own unique label. Our “Oddly Crushed Wine” is now available for purchase. Chardonnay and Cabernet Sauvignon is $9 per bottle, or a 6-pack for $45, or a case for $84 (the case price works out to $7 per bottle). We will also have Zinfandel for $10 per bottle, $51 for a six-pack and $96 for a case. Please return the bottles after use because we can re-use the wine bottles (after sterilization) – this avoids a $1 per bottle charge. If you wish to order our own wine, contact Dody Black at firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. Sign Up Now for the Children’s Shopping Spree. This is a fun event! It’s the annual “Children’s Shopping Spree.” We need members and pledges over 21 years of age to help children “shop” for back-to-school clothes at JC Penny’s in Woodland. This year we can shop for 78 boys and girls. The money for clothing is donated to each child from the bell-ringing that was done in December. The shopping spree is Saturday, August 22, starting at 7:30 a.m. (at JC Penny’s in Woodland at the County Fair Mall) and ending around 9:30 a.m. The children also each get a backpack filled with school supplies, donated by the Davis Rebekah Lodge. If you wish to volunteer to help a child shop on August 22, please contact Lindsay at email@example.com and let her know you are a volunteer from the Davis Odd Fellows Lodge. Also, if you can’t volunteer, another way to help is to purchase $25 JC Penny gift cards (which you can get at Safeway and other places). Give me the gift cards, and I will get them to Lindsay.
6. Annual BBQ This Sunday. Every year the staff at our wonderful Odd Fellows retirement campuses (in Saratoga and Napa) put on a great BBQ for members, family and friends. Last year, 8 of us traveled to the BBQ and had a good time. This year the BBQ is at the Saratoga Retirement Community on Sunday, August 2, from 1 to 4 p.m. It costs $10 per person and the food is great. And the retirement community is an amazing place to see.
7. RSVP to Visit the Historic Volcano Lodge. Let’s car-pool to visit the historic and unique Volcano Lodge in Volcano, California. The visit is September 19. It’s well worth the visit – like a step back through time. We will have a short visit at the Lodge and then walk down the street to a historic hotel for lunch. Can’t beat this memory. Make sure to RSVP to Nancy Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve your spot.
8. RSVP to Honor the Grand Master. This Lodge has been around since 1870 – a long time. But in all those years, our Lodge has never had a Grand Master. We have one now when Dave Rosenberg was elected Grand Master of California. It is a tradition going back over 150 years that the home Lodge of the Grand Master hosts a reception for the Grand Master, and we are doing just that on September 12. Please see the attached invitation. We need to have a large turnout of our members to this big annual event. Lodge members from all over the state will be attending. Please RSVP now for this important reception. Let’s be there in force from the Davis Lodge to honor the Grand Master.
9. Odd Fellows Bingo Benefits YCCC. Mark your calendars for Odd Fellows Bingo on Sunday, August 9. The beneficiary in August is YCCC – Yolo Community Care Continuum. This is an agency that provides services to persons in this County experiencing a psychiatric disability. They do important work for persons with mental illness. Help YCCC by coming out to play Bingo at the Lodge! And please note: The Bingo Committee is one of our most active committees, contributing about $8,000 each year to local charitable and community groups. The Committee could always use a couple more volunteers – if you are interested, please let me know.