Dear Odd Fellows and Pledges,
1. Relay for Life Right Around the Corner. Help raise funds to fight cancer. That’s the goal of the annual relay for life. The Davis Lodge has a team again this year called Sore Feet. The actual relay (it’s all walking for 24 hours in 1-hour shifts) takes place on August 1-2. If you are interested in helping, contact Jean-Paul Montreuil at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Next Lodge Meeting Is Saturday, August 8. Mark your calendars for the next Lodge meeting which is our Second Saturday Breakfast meeting. It’s Saturday, August 8. Breakfast is served at 8:45 a.m. and the fun social meeting begins around 9:30 a.m.
3. Club Night This Thursday. Don’t miss Club Night at the Lodge this coming Thursday, July 30, from 5 to 8 p.m. at the Lodge. It’s Pizza Night at Club Night with pizza at $2 per slice. Plus the full bar will be open with wine, beer, soft drinks, apple cider and mixed drinks. The big-screen TV will be on. We will also be playing fun trivia with prizes conducted by Trivia Master Dave Rosenberg.
4. “Oddly Crushed” Wine Available Now. The Davis Lodge now has it’s own wine with our own unique label. Our “Oddly Crushed Wine” is now available for purchase. Chardonnay and Cabernet Sauvignon is $9 per bottle, or a 6-pack for $45, or a case for $84 (the case price works out to $7 per bottle). We will also have Zinfandel for $10 per bottle, $51 for a six-pack and $96 for a case. Please return the bottles after use because we can re-use the wine bottles (after sterilization) – this avoids a $1 per bottle charge. If you wish to order our own wine, contact Dody Black at email@example.com.
5. Sign Up Now for the Children’s Shopping Spree. One of the most charitable things we do is the annual “Children’s Shopping Spree.” We need members and pledges over 21 years of age to help children “shop” for back-to-school clothes at JC Penny’s in Woodland. This year we can shop for 78 boys and girls. The money for clothing is donated to each child from the bell-ringing that was done in December. The shopping spree is Saturday, August 22, starting at 7:30 a.m. (at JC Penny’s in Woodland at the County Fair Mall) and ending around 9:30 a.m. The children also each get a backpack filled with school supplies, donated by the Davis Rebekah Lodge. If you wish to volunteer to help a child shop on August 22, please contact Lindsay at firstname.lastname@example.org and let her know you are a volunteer from the Davis Odd Fellows Lodge. Also, if you can’t volunteer, another way to help is to purchase $25 JC Penny gift cards (which you can get at Safeway and other places). Give me the gift cards, and I will get them to Lindsay.
6. Annual BBQ Coming Up. Every year the staff at our wonderful retirement campuses (in Saratoga and Napa) put on a great BBQ for members, family and friends. Last year, 8 of us traveled to the BBQ and had a good time. This year the BBQ is at the Saratoga Retirement Community from 1 to 4 p.m. It costs $10 per person and the food is great. If you are interested in attending and car pooling, contact me and I will connect the car-poolers.
7. RSVP to Visit the Historic Volcano Lodge. Let’s car-pool to visit the historic and unique Volcano Lodge in Volcano, California. The visit is September 19. See the attached invitation letter for all the details and the RSVP information. It’s well worth the visit – like a step back through time. We will have a short visit at the Lodge and then walk down the street to a historic hotel for lunch. Can’t beat this memory. Make sure to RSVP to reserve your spot.
8. RSVP to Honor the Grand Master. This Lodge has been around since 1870 – a long time. But in all those years, our Lodge has never had a Grand Master. We have one now when Dave Rosenberg was elected Grand Master of California. It is a tradition going back over 150 years that the home Lodge of the Grand Master hosts a reception for the Grand Master, and we are doing just that on September 12. Please see the attached invitation. We need to have a large turnout of our members to this big annual event. Lodge members from all over the state will be attending. Please RSVP now for this important reception. Let’s be there in force from the Davis Lodge to honor the Grand Master.
9. Who Wants to Join the Davis Rebekah Lodge? The Davis Odd Fellows Hall is home to TWO Lodges: The Davis Odd Fellows Lodge and the Davis Rebekah Lodge. The latter is a small Lodge with a lot of heart and a lot of energy to do good works in the community. The Lodge is open to women and men. The Davis Rebekah Lodge is looking for a few more good members and what better pool of potential members than the Davis Odd Fellows Lodge. Please see the attached flier on the Rebekah Lodge. And if you are interested in submitting an application and being initiated, let me know!
10. Odd Fellows Bingo Benefits YCCC. Mark your calendars for Odd Fellows Bingo on Sunday, August 9. The beneficiary in August is YCCC – Yolo Community Care Continuum. This is an agency that provides services to persons in this County experiencing a psychiatric disability. They do important work for persons with mental illness. Help YCCC by coming out to play Bingo at the Lodge!
11. Time Running Out to RSVP for the SF Dungeon Trip. The Lodge Good Fellowship Committee is organizing a bus trip to San Francisco to visit the SF Dungeon. The date is September 5 and the cost is $42. The price includes the bus and the cost of the Dungeon ticket. BUT we will only go if we get 34 people to sign up and pay their $42. If we don’t get the $42, the money will be refunded. Checks payable to Davis Lodge and sent to: Dave Rosenberg, Davis Odd Fellows, 415 Second Street, Davis CA 95616. Deadline to RSVP and pay the $42 is August 5.
12. Mark Your Calendars for Three Classic Films. Our Classic Film Committee has booked three classic films for our film series, to be shown at the Lodge on September 13, 20 and 27. Mark your calendars. They are three classics from the Film Noir genre: Double Indemnity, The Big Sleep and Kiss Me Deadly. Talented film critic and reviewer Derrick Bang will tell us the back-story for each classic film.