Dear Odd Fellows and Pledges,
1. Lighting Ceremony on June 23. The neon sign has been delivered from New Jersey and it is now affixed to the front of the Davis Lodge Hall. All members, pledges, family, friends and guests are cordially invited to an evening “lighting ceremony” in front of the Lodge Hall on Tuesday, June 23, at 8:30 p.m. – we will throw the switch to light the sign at 9:00 p.m. Snacks, champagne, sparkling apple juice will be available. Brief comments will be made by Davis Mayor Dan Wolk and Hall Board Association President Dave Rosenberg. And then stand back to be amazed.
2. “Neighbors for Nepal” – July 11. Our Lodge’s big community fundraiser to help raise money for the earthquake victims in Nepal is coming up in less than four weeks. The date is Saturday, July 11. Doors to the Lodge open at 5 p.m. Local Nepali food will be served from 5 to 8 p.m. Music begins at 6 p.m. including Nepali dance, costumes, and musical groups Barry “The Fish” Melton & Friends, According to Bazooka, Drivin’ South & More. YOU can help. Tickets are $40 each and the money is all used to help Nepal. Folks contributing $250 or more will be recognized. Tickets are available at Avid Reader Active in Downtown Davis and Common Grounds in South Davis.
3. A New Committee. Our Lodge now has 35 committees! I have authorized a new committee – The Odd Theater Committee chaired by Jenna Templeton. Several of you have already signed up! Any thespians out there should contact Jenna at firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. Burger Bar and Trivia at Club Night. Club Night at the Lodge is this Thursday, June 18, starting at 5 p.m. in the Lower Hall. The popular “Burger Bar” is back with all the fixings, plus homemade baked beans and homemade mac ‘n’ cheese. Also, Trivia Night with Jean-Paul. This is a casual and informal drop-in time for members, pledges and their guests. Bar is open, big-screen TV is on. Come on by! Thank you to our Good Fellowship Committee.
5. Odd Fellows Wine Club Meets June 19. If you enjoy good wine and good company, mark your calendars for the Odd Fellows Wine Club gathering on Friday, June 19, at 7 p.m. at the home of Robin Dewey, 49 College Park, Davis. The wine club is open to members, pledges and their guests. More information will follow. If you would like to host a wine club in the future, contact Elysa Hillis at email@example.com.
6. Next Lodge Meeting on June 24. Mark your calendars for the next Lodge meeting which is Wednesday, June 24. It’s our regular Fourth Wednesday evening meeting. Social hour is at 6:15 p.m. and the meeting begins at 7:00 p.m. If someone wishes to volunteer to provide the snacks and food for the social hour (your budget is $75) please let me know.
7. 50-Year Concert by the Grateful Dead. A live 5-year concert performed by the Grateful Dead will be telecast at the Lodge on our big screen TV on Sunday, July 5, at 5 p.m. Doors open at 4 p.m. There will be a potluck and the cost is $5 per person – beverages will be provided. Contact Dave Reed at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
8. Social Service Committee Needs Volunteers. Bob Schelen, chair of our Social Services Committee, could use more help on Saturday, June 20 helping at the Food Bank. Contact Bob if you can dedicate a couple of hours to help feed the hungry. Bob Schelen at email@example.com.
9. Davis Music Fest. One of our Lodge members, Danny Tomasello, is the organizer of the annual Davis Music Fest, held at various venues around town, including the Lodge Hall. The “event” happens June 18-20-21. For information and tickets contact www.davismusicfest.com.
10. Committee Members Sought for the Bingo Committee. Our Lodge Bingo Committee has been running Bingo games for the community for eight years – once each month on the Second Sunday. Over $50,000 has been provided to local charitable and community groups from the proceeds of Bingo, and it the regular players look forward to Bingo at the Lodge. The Bingo Committee does great work and is one of our major channels of community support and donations. The Committee is always looking for a few good men and women to volunteer. It’s not tough duty – it’s only once each month! If you are interested in being a member of our Bingo Committee, let me know! The Bingo Committee this year is Co-chaired by Jean-Paul Montreuil and Jeff Oblinger. If you wish to volunteer for the Bingo Committee, please e-mail me.
11. Summer Camp News. Kudos to our own Davis Encampment #21. Once again, they are paying for scholarships to allow children to have a summer camp experience. This year, the Davis Encampment paid for 15 kids to go to camp – 11 to Camp Putah and 4 to the Three Links Camp. Sharla Cheney, who is organizing this year’s effort, states that there is still 1 scholarship spot left for Camp Putah and 2-4 scholarship spots left at Three Links Camp. If you are interested, contact Sharla right away at firstname.lastname@example.org.