Dear Odd Fellows and Pledges,
1. Lodge Meeting Next Saturday. Mark your calendars. Our second Saturday breakfast meeting comes up next Saturday, May 9. Breakfast at 8:45 a.m. and meeting starts at 9:30 a.m. Breakfast is always free, plentiful and yummy.
2. Take a Hike Tomorrow. The Lodge Take a Hike Committee has another hike planned for tomorrow, Sunday, May 3. Lodge members, pledges, family and friends are welcome to join the hike. The plan is to depart from the Big 5 parking lot at the Marketplace Shopping Center in North Davis at 8:30 a.m. The destination is Cold Canyon just west of Winters. The trail starts near Monticello Dam and ascends to Blue Ridge and loops back. It’s about a 5-mile moderate hike. Lunch is planned afterwards at Berryessa Brewing Company.
3. “Help Nepal” Meeting on Monday. Following the devastating earthquake in Nepal, a number of Odd Fellows and Pledges have determined that we can help. Five years ago we organized a “Hope for Haiti” event after a huge earthquake in that country and raised $26,000 for Haiti assistance. Can we do it again? If you wish to participate in planning a community event to help Nepal, we have a special meeting coming up this Monday, May 4, at 7:30 p.m. at the Lodge. You are welcome to come and help think through and start planning what we can do.
4. Music at the Lodge on May 7. Our Music and Concerts Committee is hosting another great show at the Lodge on Thursday, May 7, beginning at 7:30 p.m. Gary Lee Yoder and What’s Left will open the show. Gary is a Davis musician who was part of the 1960’s SF psychedelic rock band scene. Meredith Axelrod is from the Bay Area and excels in early jazz and pre-1930’s American pop music. Always a good show at the Lodge.
5. Club Night Features Fried Chicken and Trivia. Club Night at the Lodge is back on Thursday, May 7, starting at 5 p.m. This is a casual drop-in time for members, pledges and their guests. Bar is open, big-screen TV is on, and dinner is available at $7 per plate – this week fried chicken, mashed potatoes and veggies – and trivia is back (with prizes) featuring trivia masters Heather Barnes and Jean-Paul Montreuil. Come on by!
6. Wine Club Meets Again on May 8. The Odd Fellows Wine Club returns on Friday, May 8, at 7 p.m. at the home of Ann Rhyther and Rene Gomez, 1416 Towse Drive, Woodland. All members, pledges and their guests are invited to come over and sample wines and food. Please bring a bottle of Pinot Noir or Viognier, and an appetizer to share.
7. Hall Board Meets on Tuesday. Due to conflicting schedules, we had to move the Hall Board meeting to Tuesday, May 5, starting at 5 p.m. The meeting is always open to members.
8. Taste of Davis a Huge Success. Wow. This year’s Taste of Davis (the 6th annual) was a GREAT success. We had over 250 guests sampling food, wine, beer, desserts and coffee from 24 local purveyors. This was our best TOD yet, and met our budget expectations. Thank you to Dody Black who co-chaired the event with me, and the hard-working members of our TOD Committee: Danny Tomasello, Joyce Puntillo, Joyce Trujillo, Rene Liston, Matt Duffy, Raquel Silva, Celine Livengood, Joel Mandel, Sheryl Cambron, Bill Grabert, Dharmaveer Shetty, Robin Dewey, Christopher Young, Joe Green, Heather Barnes, Jean-Paul Montreuil, and Kyle Meyer. It takes many hands to make TOD a success and we had them Congratulations, Odd Fellows, on another terrific community function. And our beneficiary was the Elderly Nutrition Program.