Dear Odd Fellows and Pledges,
1. The Odd Fellow Rebekah Publication. If you haven’t seen the latest edition of the California Odd Fellow and Rebekah Magazine (April-May-June edition) please make sure to check it out. And you haven’t gotten it, you can read it on-line on the home page of www.caioof.org. The Davis Lodge or Davis Lodge members are featured or identified in no less than EIGHT articles in the magazine. See if you can find all 8.
2. April is a Very Busy Month for our Lodge. One of our busiest months of the year is coming up in April. We have music, bingo, a hike, club night, Lodge meetings, a Lodge birthday party, Picnic Day activities, a bus trip to wine country, and Taste of Davis, among other things. I will try to highlight many of these activities for you in this report.
3. Thursday Live! Music at the Lodge This Thursday. It’s a Blues Party at the Lodge, Upper Hall, this Thursday, featuring three local Blues acts: Clarence Van Hook, the Evan Daly Blues Band (Evan is an Odd Fellow), and The Hucklebucks. Doors open at 7 p.m. and music starts at 7:30 p.m. Thursday Live! is a feature of our Lodge’s Music & Concerts Committee. It’s open to the public and it’s free (donations are welcome).
4. Club Night at the Lodge Thursday Evening. This Thursday, April 2, join your Lodge buddies in the Lower Hall at “Club Night at the Lodge”. It’s a Mexican these for dinner on Thursday, and it’s just a fun social evening, with no planned events. Board games, puzzles and playing cards available. Open to members, pledges and their guests, starting at 5 p.m. in the Lower Hall. Club Night is a feature of our Good Fellowship Committee, brought to you every Thursday evening.
5. Breakfast with the Bunny Tickets Almost Gone. This year’s popular Breakfast with the Bunny will be held at the Lodge on Saturday morning, April 4. Tickets ($10 for adults and kids) are now on sale at Avid Reader Active and Common Grounds in South Davis. At last count, only 17 tickets remain available. There will be a continental breakfast, an egg hunt, the Eggstravaganza (arts and crafts for the kids) and a kid’s carnival. Plus the kids get to meet “The Bunny”. This is open to the public. Thank you to our Breakfast with the Bunny Committee for organizing this event for the community once again.
6. Take a Hike Next Sunday. Our Lodge’s Take a Hike Committee is at it again. Our hikes are open to members, pledges, family and friends. On Sunday, May 5, the hikers will go to Pierce Canyon Falls. Gather at 8:30 a.m. at the Big 5 Sporting Goods parking lot to carpool over. For more information, contact Dave Reed at email@example.com.
7. Lodge Meeting on Saturday, April 11. The best breakfast in town. And it’s free. Make sure you attend our Lodge’s regular Second Saturday morning breakfast meeting, on April 11. Breakfast at 8:45 a.m. and meeting at 9:30 a.m.
8. Bingo, Anyone? Our active Bingo Committee hosts Second Sunday Bingo at the Lodge again, on Sunday, April 12. The beneficiary is Camp Kesem. Doors open at noon, and Bingo play begins at 1 p.m. Bingo is open to the public. You must be over 18 to attend and play.
9. 145th Davis Lodge Birthday. It’s our birthday! Mark your calendars for Monday, April 13, from 5 to 7 p.m. The Lodge Hall will be open to the public for the 145th anniversary of our charter, dating back to 1870. There will be food, drink, music and tours. Him & Me will entertain us during the birthday celebration. The Davis Enterprise is giving us free advertising for the event. Make sure to come by, and bring your friends and neighbors.
10. Odd Fellows Scholarship. The deadline to apply for the Lodge scholarship is April 15. If you have been a member of the Lodge for more than three years, you can apply for yourself, your children, grandchildren. There is a form to fill out. Contact Sharla Cheney, chair of the Scholarship Committee for details, at firstname.lastname@example.org. (Also, contact Sharla if you have young children or grandchildren who want to go to summer camp – the Davis Encampment is offering scholarships to kids for a camping experience.)
11. Davis Lodge Picnic Day Pancake Breakfast. Since the mid-1950’s our Lodge has been hosting the Picnic Day Pancake Breakfast, open to the public. This year Picnic Day is April 18. The Lodge will be open for breakfast for you and the general public from 8:00 to 10:30 a.m. – breakfast at $5 per person, and kids under 5 are free. Come to breakfast at the Lodge and then watch our Lodge float float on by in the Picnic Day Parade (which passes right in front of the Lodge! This year we have a Picnic Day Float Committee that is building a super Odd Fellows Lodge Picnic Day Float. You will have to see it to believe it!
12. Wine Tasting Trip to Amador. Seats are going fast, but space is still available on the bus to Amador County for wine tasting. The day-trip is Sunday, April 26. We have a bus and will visit the beautiful wine country and three wineries, plus have a picnic lunch. Also, the wine trivia quiz with great prizes. All this for $30. Contact Dave Rosenberg to reserve your seat at email@example.com.
13. Taste of Davis Tickets on Sale. Our Lodge sponsors and hosts “A Taste of Davis” on Thursday, April 30. This is our 6th year hosting this event! Tickets are now on sale, at $20 per person. We have 26 vendors who will serve their food, wine, and beer at the Odd Fellows Lodge Hall. You can buy tickets at Avid Reader Active in Downtown Davis, at Common Grounds in South Davis, and at the Lodge. Also, on line purchases at http://www.showclix.com/event/taste. Thank you to our Taste of Davis Committee. This is a BIG social event in Davis, and we expect well over 200 attendees. Be there, or be square.