Dear Odd Fellows and Pledges,
1. Formal Lodge Meeting This Coming Wednesday. We have an important meeting coming up and we want to have a really good turnout of our Lodge! Please make sure to come to our Lodge Fourth Wednesday evening meeting this coming Wednesday, February 25. Social hour will start at 6:15 p.m. in the Lower Hall (snacks will be provided by Holly Bishop, Claudia Marie Lowe, and me), and then we will move to the Upper Hall at 7:00 p.m. for our meeting. Members and Pledges are invited to the social hour, but only members can attend the meeting. It will be a closed, formal meeting with full ritual opening and closing. (Don’t worry, we will remind you of the password and sign.) We will be paid an official visit by Grand Master Tim Brown and several of his officers. Most times when they visit Lodges, they get only 10-20 people – let’s have a remarkable turnout from the Davis Lodge!
2. Three Degrees Conferred. Five initiated members of the Lodge received their three degrees last Wednesday, February 18. Congratulations! They are Colin Anderson, Judy Archuleta., Joe Green, Larry Guenther, and Joyce Trujillo. They now hold the Degree of Friendship, the Degree of Love, and the Degree of Truth.
3. Odd Fellow Scholarships. Every year our Lodge provides scholarship assistance to eligible Odd Fellows or their dependents. Chair of our Scholarship Committee is Sharla Cheney. Application deadline is March 15. You have to be an active, dues-paying member for three years to qualify. Information and application can be found at www.davislodge.org/davis-odd-fellows-lodge-scholarship/
4. Souperbowl Party This Sunday. The Davis Food Coop and the Davis Rebekah Lodge are hosting a “SouperBowl Party” this Sunday, February 22, at the Lodge beginning from 4 to 6 p.m. Soups will be featured from various Davis restaurants. Money raised will benefit the Victim Services Courthouse Dog Program. Tickets are $12 for adults and $4 for children under 12, available at the Davis Food Coop. Tickets may be available at the door at higher prices.
5. Take a Hike. The Take a Hike Committee is organizing another hike to begin Sunday morning, March 1. Please contact Dave Reed at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. This is a 6-mile hike in Wildcat Canyon. Hikers will meet and depart from the Big 5 parking lot at 8:30 a.m.
6. Classic Film Fest Begins Again. The Odd Fellows Classic Film Festival is back. The Classic Film Committee will show three classic films at the Lodge on three successive Sundays, March 1, March 8 and March 15. The Classic Film Committee has chosen “classic courtroom films” as the genre this time around. The first screening will be March 1 of the classic “Adam’s Rib” starring Spencer Tracy and Katherine Hepburn. There is no charge and the screenings are open to the public. Doors open at 6:15 p.m. and the show begins at 6:43 p.m. (odd times, of course).
7. Scholarship Recipient Doing Well. Last year the Davis Odd Fellows Lodge Charities, Inc., provided a $10,000 scholarship to Patricia Boone, a young lady who grew up the hard way in the foster care system. Patricia has written to us and she is doing well. She is a third-year student at Northwestern University School of Law and is on the Dean’s List. Patricia continues to excel and has just received a $1,000 scholarship from a law firm to help her toward graduation. While in law school she works with foster youth, has created a mentor program at a local alternative school, taught debate and creative writing to 60 at risk youth, and is active with the Black Law Students Association. As we had hoped, Patricia is giving back to help others. Congratulations, Patricia.