Dear Odd Fellows and Pledges,
1. Tomorrow is our Annual Breakfast with Santa. I want to thank the 50 Odd Fellows and Pledges who volunteered to set up today and to work tomorrow on the day of the event. BWS is tomorrow morning, and once again, we will make 360 children and their families very happy. We also broke all records in donations and I want to thank all the Odd Fellows who contributed money to make BWS a success. Of course, thank you to Doug Hatton – a great Santa! One reminder to Odd Fellows and Pledges: Unless you are attending as a paid customer, or are attending as a signed-up volunteer, please don’t come to the Lodge tomorrow morning. It will be a really busy place with LOTS of people. I know you understand.
2. Less Than 4 Million Steps to Go. We are now very close to our goal of 50 million collective steps as a Lodge. It’s within reach! As of tonight, the step count is 46,201,458. Only 3,798,542 steps to go and we meet our goal. If you have steps to report, please get them to Dave at email@example.com. 50 million steps equals 25,000 miles – or once around the Earth. Once we reach our goal, this will be a nice article in the local papers and the IOOF Statewide Newsletter.
3. Speaking of the IOOF Statewide Newsletter. Take a moment to check out www.caioof.org. That’s the website of the Grand Lodge of California. On the homepage, right in the center, is the current statewide newsletter (just click where is says “January, February, March” under 2015, let it load, and then you can read the entire newsletter). Once again, the Davis Lodge is all over it – and it’s because we are so active! I saw seven articles or mentions about Davis or Davis Lodge members. Can you find all seven?
4. One More Bell Ringer is Needed. We have only one bell-ringing slot left to fill. It’s for December 19, from 2 to 3 p.m. at the Main Davis Post Office. We have one volunteer for that slot, but we really need two people – it’s more fun with a buddy. If you are interested in helping, please let me know in reply to this e-mail. The funds raised are used to help children in Davis and Yolo from very needy families.
5. Club Night at the Lodge This Thursday, December 18. Don’t forget the weekly Club Night at the Lodge this coming Thursday, December 18, starting at 5 p.m. in the Lower Hall. Dinner is available at 6 p.m. And it’s Trivia Night with prizes and Trivia Master Dave Rosenberg.
6. Hike Coming Up December 14. Dave Reed and the Take a Hike Committee are planning another hike this Sunday, December 14, to Lagoon Valley Park (near Vacaville). Gather at the Big 5 Sporting Goods parking lot. Cars will depart at 9 a.m. Mark your calendars if hiking is your thing.
7. Bingo Benefits the Yolo County SPCA on December 14. Odd Fellows Bingo this Sunday, December 14 will benefit the SPCA. Bingo is open to the public. Doors open at noon and Bingo begins at 1 p.m.
8. Caroling Again This Year on December 17. Dave Reed has organized caroling again this year. The date is Wednesday, December 17. Those who wish to carol meet at 7 p.m. at University Retirement Community, 1515 Shasta Drive. For more information, contact Dave Reed at firstname.lastname@example.org.
9. Odd Fellows Wine Club Meets on December 19. Mark your calendars for Friday, December 19. The Wine Club meets at Lea and Dave Rosenberg’s home, Davis, for the annual Holiday Wine Club gathering. It begins at 7 p.m. Bring your favorite red, white or bubbly, and an appetizer to share.
10. New Year’s Eve Party at the Lodge. Almost half the tickets are already sold!!! For the first time ever, the Lodge will be hosting a New Year’s Eve Party for member, pledges and the community. Tickets ($40 per person) are now on sale at Avid Reader Active and Common Grounds. Only 225 tickets will be sold so if you wish to attend, you should get your tickets soon. Doors open for the NYE party at 8 p.m. on December 31, music begins at 9 p.m. (featuring Mumbo Gumbo) and there will be a champagne toast at midnight on January 1, 2015. There will be music and dancing in the Upper Hall, and the Lower Hall will be open in a quieter venue for folks who want to watch NYE shows on the big screen TV and dine on gumbo and cornbread. For more information, contact NYE Committee Chair Juelie Roggli at email@example.com.
11. RSVP Now for Our Annual Installation & Awards Dinner. The annual dinner and awards event is Saturday, January 17, 2015. Tickets this year are remarkably low in price: $15 for members and pledges and $19 for guests. There will be entertainment, awards and the installation of elected and appointed officers of the Lodge. Dinner includes four buffet stations. RSVP now to save your seat. Members, pledges and guests are cordially invited. RSVP to Renee Liston at firstname.lastname@example.org.
12. Winter Wine Trip Canceled. Rich Halen reports that only 14 folks responded with interest to attend the Good Fellowship Committee’s Winter wine bus trip. Since we needed a minimum of 30, the trip won’t take place. Instead, the Good Fellowship Committee will postpone the trip and try for a Spring wine trip.