Dear Odd Fellows and Pledges,
1. Odd Poetry Tonight. From 6 to 7 p.m. tonight, November 14, Odd Poets meet under the Odd Poet-Tree in front of the Lodge. Come to recite some poetry, and/or come to listen. Weather is beautiful.
2. Update on Two Members. I’m delighted to report that Jim Cheney, after successful surgery, is back home. And Marge Fagan, currently at University Retirement Community, is moving to Covell Gardens tomorrow. We wish them both well and hope to see them soon!
3. Classic Film Festival Continues on Sunday. The Second Odd Fellows Classic Film Festival continues this Sunday, November 16, at the Lodge, Lower Hall. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. and the showing begins at 7:00 p.m. Admission is free, but donations welcome. The film is the classic: “The Treasure of the Sierra Madre”, starring Humphrey Bogart in a strange and iconic role.
4. Breakfast with Santa Tickets Now Available. Starting today, November 14, tickets go on sale for our annual Breakfast with Santa. Tickets can be purchased for $9 per person (adult or child) at Avid Reader Active and Common Grounds. And they go fast. This year, Breakfast with Santa is December 13.
5. Would You Like to Sponsor Breakfast with Santa? Every year, we obtain a number of sponsors to help support this event. As a sponsor, you will be recognized in our press releases, publicity, programs, and posters before and during the event. We already have raised $3,919 in sponsorships, including a number of Odd Fellows. Sponsors so far: David Cougevan and Nicole Davis of Edward Jones Investments $500, Patric Ashby and Patricia Grafton $500, Raquel Silva Attorney at Law $500, Brian and Nazzy Pakpour and Pakpour Family Law $500, Yocha Dehe Wintun Nation $500, Tandem Properties, Inc., $300, Law Offices of Roberta Savage $150, Dennis Corcoran $169 , Allison Zuvela $100, Joyce Trujillo $100, Beth Dovi $100, John and Elysa Hillis and Campus Child Care $100, Tim Ainsworth $100, Zachary and Barbara Wochok $100,Davis Ace $100, and Lea and Dave Rosenberg $100. Would you like to join this great group? Any contribution of $100 or more will be most appreciated and will support not only the worthy BWS, but also our efforts to help foster kids and those who have recently aged out of the foster care system.
6. Evening of Good Fellowship. The Davis Rebekah Lodge and Soroptimist International Club of Davis are sponsoring their annual “Evening of Good Fellowship” at the Lodge on Thursday, November 20, in the Upper Hall, starting at 6 p.m. Interested Odd Fellows are cordially invited. There is no charge. There will be homemade soups and breads, plus a LARGE silent auction.
7. Club Night at the Lodge Next Thursday, November 20. Don’t forget the weekly Club Night at the Lodge on Thursday , November 20, starting at 5 p.m. in the Lower Hall. Dinner is available at 6 p.m. And it’s Trivia Night with Trivia Master Dave Rosenberg.
8. Wine Club Coming up on November 21. This month the Odd Fellows Wine Club meets on Friday, November 21, starting at 7 p.m. at the home of Chuck White and Carrie Shucker, in Davis. The theme is port wine. Bring your favorite port wine with either an accompanying sweet chocolate dish or savory dish.
9. New Year’s Eve Party at the Lodge. For the first time ever, there will be a New Year’s Eve Party, starting on December 31, 2014 and ending on January 1, 2015. This great party is sponsored and hosted by the Odd Fellows Lodge! Lodge members and the public at large are invited to ring in the New Year in style at the Odd Fellows Lodge Hall. The popular local group Mumbo Gumbo will be performing! The price is $40 per ticket, and includes gumbo, corn bread and the champagne toast. Mark your calendars!
10. No Meetings Till January. Because of the Thanksgiving and Christmas Holidays and Breakfast with Santa, there are no more meetings of the Lodge scheduled till January 10, 2015. But mark your calendars for some January dates: January 10 (breakfast meeting of the Lodge), January 17 (Installation and Awards Dinner at the Lodge), January 28 (Wednesday evening meeting of the Lodge and Initiation of the Spring 2015 Pledge Class).